Mel W. Shelander has practiced law at the same location for over 35 years, successfully handling thousands of different kinds of cases for clients throughout Texas. As a lawyer, he is intentionally not board certified in any one area of practice because he does not want to narrow his practice to one specific area. As his client, you benefit from this broad viewpoint for your specific case.
Mr. Shelander is married and the father of five children. He is a native of Beaumont and has lived and worked here all of his life. He knows the community and can put that knowledge and familiarity to work for you.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE & BACKGROUND
- May 1970 - Graduated Beaumont High
- May 1973 - Graduated Lamar University - Beaumont (BBA in 3 years)
- January 1976 - Graduated South Texas College of Law - Houston (in 2 1/2 years)
- All Texas State Courts
- Federal Court - Eastern and Southern District of TX
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals of the U.S.
- U.S. Supreme Court
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITY:
- State Bar of Texas
- Jefferson County Bar Association
- Jefferson County Family Law Lawyer's Association
- Jefferson County Criminal Defense Lawyer's Association
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyer's Association
- Past Fellow of the American Academy of Adoption and Family Law
- Jefferson County Settlement Week Mediator
- Mentor for other attorneys in Adoption and Family Law
- Frequently contacted by local media to provide professional opinions regarding adoption
- Pro Bono Program Volunteer Attorney
COMMUNITY AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- President and Director of Cradle of Life Adoption Agency, Inc.
- Board Member - Lamar University Cardinal Club
- Past President - Beaumont Little Dribblers Basketball League
- Past Board Member - BPM Club
- Little Dribbler's Basketball Coach - 10 years
- Little League Baseball Coach - 9 years
- Past St. Anne's Catholic School part-time Tennis Coach
- City of Beaumont - Parks and Recreation Citizen's Advisory Committee